lördag 15 juni 2013

Virtual Private Server

One of many things I've been wanting to get more experience in is web development. A few years ago I did a simple Tetris clone which was using Bluetooth to exchange game data between two mobile phones, and now I wanted to do similar things but using Internet. I also got interested in Node.js, having read a lot about that and Socket.IO, and so I decided to try renting a virtual private server for some experimentation.

After a very quick research I decided on Linode, www.linode.com. Even though Linode does not have any free plan, it does give you quite a lot: you get your own static IP address, you can choose which OS to install (I chose Ubuntu) and you can run whichever long-running services you may want. It's pretty much like having your own Linux server, only it's tucked away some place else than in your bedroom. (VPS is a very fitting description.) You upload files easily using FTP and you use ssh to work with the shell. Given the great smartphones and tablets of today, you can even run ssh from your phone while on the go, and suddenly you have a powerful Linux server right in your pocket.

I went for the cheapest plan, which gives you:
* 1 GB of RAM (Used to be 512 MB but they doubled it without increasing the price.)
* 8 CPU cores (Though I guess this does not mean guaranteed exclusive usage.)
* 24 GB of storage
* 2 TB of transfer data (This is vastly increased from since I signed up.)

The price tag for this is 20 dollars a month, which I consider neither particular cheap nor very expensive.

My first plan was to just try it out for a month, do some experiments and then be done with it. However, that was one and a half year ago and I'm still paying. Actually it's so nice to have access to Linode, and I'm having so much fun putting up experimental apps there now, that I don't see any reason to quit. Maybe in the future I'll buy a real physical server, but for now I'm not ready to cough up money for that and be bothered having one more machine taking up space in my small apartment.
Also I'm very happy with the stability of Linode. I have not experienced any down time at all this far.

Cheers to Linode!

Oh and by the way, the picture here above I just Googled and I don't know which server hall it is from. I wonder if "my" Linode is surrounded by cool blue lights like that..?

Inga kommentarer: